Small steps in faith

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Come and Listen

I have never audibly heard the voice of the Lord. I do hear it in my thoughts guiding me and feel it in my heart when I'm seeking.

I thought this article was interesting esp the section on "white noise"
I really don't think God ever meant us to be this "busy" I think we do it to ourselves and in some cases it's just an ego trip to show "how important we are"

If you don't take time to listen ..you aren't ever going to hear his voice.





THE VOICE OF THE LORD
By: NONA RAY ANDERSON

Psalm 29: 3-9 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of glory thunders; the Lord is upon many great waters.
There are several scriptures that describe the voice of the Lord. I think of the story of Elijah, in the book of 1st Kings, who was hiding under a broom tree and the Lord God brought him to a high place and set him within the cleft of the rock. At the end of the story we see that God spoke through a still small voice. In Revelation, the scripture describes the Lord’s voice as like the sound of many waters. In the book of John the scriptures tells us that we will know His voice and the voice of a stranger we will not follow.
Continuing on with Psalm 29, we see that the voice of the Lord is powerful; full of majesty, His voice breaks the cedars of Lebanon. His voice splits and breaks forth like lightning. His voice shakes the wilderness, and makes the deer bring forth their young, His voice strips bare the forests, while in His temple everyone declares Glory!
Why then is it that we sometimes have such a hard time hearing the voice of the Lord God? Have you ever heard of something called white noise? This is a noise that is always in the background and we become so use to hearing it that we soon don’t hear it any longer. We have become a society that is good at tuning things out around us. I have a clock in my family room that plays music on the hour. When I first bought the clock I listened to the melodies with delight. Lately I have noticed that the melodies come and go and I quite often don’t even realize that the clock has struck the hour. I have become dull of hearing when it comes to something that was such a delight to me. Perhaps the same is true with the voice of God. Have we become so dull of hearing that we have tuned out his voice? According to the Bible He speaks in many different ways. God wants to communicate to us this we know. He also wants us to sharpen our spiritual hearing skills so that we can be in tune with the Holy Spirit when He speaks.
Many things distract us and pull us away. We live in a noisy world. We have become so adapted to noise that there are some people who cannot stand silence. They need to have some sort of noise around them at all times, even at bedtime the TV or radio needs to be on.

Sometimes, I long for the good old days of sitting on a hillside on my grandfather’s farm with nothing but the drone of a busy bee, or the flitter of a passing butterfly. I long for the times of sitting on the front porch with my grandfather, listening to his voice as he shared his boyhood days with me. I have never forgotten those times of just relaxing with the ones I loved. The same can be true with our Heavenly Father, as we sit and listen for His voice. He longs to share things with us that we will never forget. When’s the last time you took a walk barefoot in the grass or just sat and watched the clouds go by? Too busy you say? Maybe that’s your problem. Why not readjust your receiver, get rid of the static and interference? Whether it is for the first time or after a long time you will hear the Lord’s Voice, calling you to come and listen to what He has to tell you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home