Small steps in faith

Friday, May 04, 2007

Being humble

Last night we had a discussion about Philippians 2. Being humble. Thinking of others.
I think God is smacking me in the face with this...at home,at work,3rd Place,Apex, and now house church.
The verse that kept going over and over in my head when I looked at it was verse 6.." Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God"
I tend to look at things in the context of "fairness""If I do this....I deserve this or this is what should happen" which isn't what God teaches us.
Of all the people on earth He deserved to be treated higher than any of us and He was treated the opposite. He put himself lower than others...He came to serve not to be served.
He didn't go around demanding to be treated a certain way because of who He was. I run into that attitude so much at work with the spectrum of people I deal with and I need to have a better attitude about it.
The other interesting thing I learned has to do with verse 10 "so that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow,in heaven,on earth,and under the earth... When the bible talks of Jesus..every knee shall bow not heads...God/Holy Spirit...that's when heads are bowed.
I never knew there was a distinction.
As a side note..I'm reading a book called "They Like Jesus But Not The Church" by Dan Kimball. This book is a total eye opener to how nonchristians and esp the age group of 18 to 30 view the church. I will write a post on it when I'm done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home