Small steps in faith

Sunday, July 27, 2008

"What's Love Got To Do With It? "

These are my notes from Rob's sermon this morning.
We decided to go to the morning service and then eat our lunch at Cox Arboretum.
Neil Rogers led worship..I like his voice and he was military so he marches barefoot ..I think maybe unconsciously.
We sang "White As Snow" by Jon Foreman which I love and...."Divine Romance" by Phil Wickham.
Kendall sat behind us with one of the girls she met when she lived in Namibia. She has been an au pere here in the US and will be returning to her family to figure out where God will lead her next.
I was definitely convicted by this message. Unresolved anger is something I do struggle with and I've learned the hard way to let it go. It serves no purpose in the big picture of things. It took me months to realize that I can't change someone else's behavior and attitude and I need to let go and move on.

1 John 3:11-24

What's love got to do with it?.....Everything.
Sin redefines and redirects love
John is talking about agape love in these passages.
Rob's definition of agape love..."I don't need something from you to love you"
These churches have been through a hard time.
Every follower at times says "Am I really in the Lord?" We struggle with our assurance.

1. Loving each other protects us from killing each other

Jesus never separates our heart from our actions.
Murder is always birthed in the heart..latent anger.
James 1:15
James 4:2

When you are latently angry with someone, you are creating your own religion. It's not biblical. It's murder in the mind. If you hold on to that anger you are hurting yourself.
John goes back to Genesis 4 to the example of Cain and Abel. Cain slits Abel's throat ..the same thing that was done with lambs who were sacrificed. He made a mockery of his sacrifice to God.

2. Loving each other confirms our faith...God gives us that agape love to love others

3. Loving each other fights off inner condemnation. Do acts of mercy. We need love to love others

4. Loving each other is a product of the spirit. He has poured his love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit.
The world would get over the hypocrisy of Christ if they would see us love each other through our actions.

5. Loving each other is perfectly modeled in the person of Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home