Small steps in faith

Friday, December 03, 2004

"Help Us Remember"

My friend from work sent this prayer to me this morning and I think everyone reading this has had 1 of these situations happen to them I know I have
It makes you think
This can be a hard time of year for some people I know from my own experience as a nurse we see alot of sad cases and our psych unit is usually very full
I had a patient this week who is dealing with more stress than anyone should have to deal with which is probably what put her in the hospital and shot her blood sugars out of control She just needed someone to listen to her more than "diabetes education" I was there to give her ...I think God uses those situations to make me realize what I have and to use my faith to reach out to those who need to be listened to and prayed for



Heavenly Father, help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic
>last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing
>home
>to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious
>moments with her children.
>
>Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who
>can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student,
>balancing
>his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student
>loans for next semester.
>
>Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same
>spot every day is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our
>worst
>nightmares.
>
>Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the
>store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment,
>knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will
>be the
>last year that they go shopping together.
>
>Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us, the
>greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we
>hold
>dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all
>humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive, show patience,
>empathy and
>love.
>
>Amen
>

1 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I never had really thought of it that way before. I tend to forget the people that I run into from a day to day basis. I love that prayer and it makes me think of how precious life really is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home