Small steps in faith

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"A Charlie Brown Christmas"



This was the title of a paper that was in my mailbox at work today. It's a research collaborative on coping and stress during Holiday Seasons. I found the timing actually pretty interesting :^) It had reasons and tips for dealing with grief,depression,stress, etc. Most of what was in here I've heard,read before. The last part of the article is something I hadn't heard so I'll share it

"Researchers at the University of California, San Diego, have actually found that three days in particular are the most deadly: Christmas, the day after Christmas and New Years Day

Why?

1 Emotional Stress. " The highs and lows and pressures we all experience during the holiday season.
2 High-fat feasts can affect your heart within 30 minutes--arterial inflammation
3 Forgetting to take medications
4 Less exercise
5 Ignoring heart attack symptoms.
6 Delay seeking medical care

Staying healthy over the holidays may be as simple as
common sense
self control
calming down


Honestly, I don't think it's that simple and I wondered if the people who did the study had ever felt how Charlie Brown felt .. "I just don't understand Christmas. Instead of feeling happy, I feel sort of let down"

I did like their "How to Help" :
1 Listen
2 Provide Comfort
3 Be a trusted confidant
4 Be available
5 Support without preaching
6 Encourage and support self care

1 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This year I am making sure that I dont overdo it at the Holidays. Its soo easy to do. I just dont wanna feel disgusting. Anyway, have a wonderful Christmas! Luvya! AS

     

Post a Comment

<< Home