Small steps in faith

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Jesus and a thief

Luke 23: 39-43

My notes from Apex sermon

The primary meaning of this message...GRACE

U2 sang a song "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"

Two typical reactions when we get stuck in a moment we can't get out of

1 Anger at God for our state..."Why did you let this happen?"

2 A humble plea for mercy..."God please help me"


The first thief reacts with anger

"Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us"
He wants to be rescued by Jesus without the authority of Jesus

"Car jack theory" by John Piper...You take it out of the trunk when you need it then put it back in the trunk and don't think about it
Puts Jesus in the role of driving the getaway car for his crime

The second thief reacts with the humble plea for mercy

1 He understood the fear of God
The Fear of the Lord...everything in your life is done for the love of God

2 He acknowledges his guilt and the justified punishment

3 He recognizes the innocence of Jesus The Perfect lamb
1 Peter 1:18-19
1 Peter 2:22-24
1John 3:5


4 He sees Jesus as King

There is nothing darker than the blindness of sin
The body of Jesus was weak and broken but not his grace
Mercy begins where blame ends
Until death ..there is ALWAYS hope
Which cross will you die on? The one of the 1st thief or the second?

Galatians 2:20

20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home