Small steps in faith

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Heading to Washington DC



This Tuesday morning, Mary(my job share partner) and I head to Washington DC for the AADE(American Association of Diabetes Educators) national meeting. I think it's kind of cool that we are having it there this year since it's election year.
There are health care bills that definitely have an impact on diabetes care. One of the girls we are meeting up with has type 1 diabetes and she is very politically active. She makes several trips to Columbus when bills are up to be voted on. Ohio is one of 4 states that do not mandate insurance companies to pay for diabetes supplies and education. This can be a huge financial burden on the person. They don't take their meds and they end up with the complications which is expensive to the patient as well as taxpayers. It's crazy.
I haven't been in Washington DC since I was 12 but it made a huge impact on me then. The first day we get there we will be able to sightsee. Our conference runs Wed through Sat. The conference is 8 to 5 every day and then there are dinners in the evening so we won't have a lot of time to see the city. We are going on a cruise dinner on the Potomac Wed night so we will be able to see the monuments at night.
Elizabeth Edwards (John Edwards wife) is our first speaker. She is actually an adviser to Barack Obama on health care issues for his campaign. I will be interested in hearing what she has to say.
My other favorite part are the freebies! There is always a huge exhibit hall with the major drug and meter companies sponsoring elaborate booths with a ton of info for me to bring back to my patients but also toys..i.e. last year they gave out i pod shuffles.
Although I'll miss my family, it will be nice to experience Washington DC again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home