Small steps in faith

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

"God of the InBetweens"

I'm still making my way through Michael Yaconelli articles This is inspired by one of his favorite books "A Testament of Devotion" by Thomas Kelly (I found it for 4.95 on Amazon :)


Living passively is seeing God in the inbetweens of life.
Beginnings and endings. Starts and finishes. Those are the parts of life that grab my attention. But the passive life is the life of inbetweens, life in the middle. "God," the passive life says, "is found in the everydayness of life, in the middle of life. God is sneaking around in the ordinariness of each day, longing to be noticed, longing to be discovered. It is tragic that much of my life I have looked for God in the momentous, and instead He’s been waiting in the moment."

The passive life liberates us from a God of decisions to a God who is between decisions. No wonder my relationship with God is stunted! I have spend most of my life looking for God instead of being with God.

Living passively is embracing God in the "allness" of life.

Mystics always talk about God in strange ways. They talk about living into the mystery. They talk about embracing one’s brokenness, embracing one’s pain. Strange words for someone who has lived so long seeing God as the way out of pain, seeing God as the way to fix brokenness. It is strange to find God in the brokenness, in the pain, in the "allness of life," and to meet God there, converse with God there, rest with God there in the restlessness of the unresolved. To discover the sweet strangeness of a relationship with God is the unexpected reward of a passive life.

I cannot say I am living passively, but I can say I have stood on the precipice of it for moments at a time...and it has been exhilarating. It has been a breathtaking look at the adventure of intimacy with God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home