Small steps in faith

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Alone Time

I was talking to one of my best friends last night who is an introvert like I am
He had needed alone time "away from people" As I was walking this morning I started thinking about my own needs for alone time If I don't get that time I get down, I'm not fun to be around It helps me process ideas,feelings,dreams I walk with an ipod so that I have at least 30 min of "alone time" I listen to music and "zone out" Sometimes it's hard for extroverts to understand In my own family there are 2 introverts (zach and i) and 2 extroverts (darrell and kristen) They have no concept of alone time..in fact i think they hate it When I go downstairs to be alone they get upset They thrive off contact with people I think there needs to be a balance and sometimes it's hard to find When I recently moved into our new office I moved from an office where I was by myself to an office with my 7 coworkers I had a hard time at first ..the extroverts didn't understand why I shut my door at times I think alone time is so important but I know for myself I have to be careful that I don't isolate myself too much Even Christ needed alone time away from his disciples and the crowds So if you're and introvert and you're reading this I think you'll understand where I'm coming from If you're an extrovert I hope this helps you understand that it's not that we're "unfriendly or antisocial" and it's nothing personal ..we just need to be alone sometimes

3 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    geez rochelle.....i knew you were mad that one day when we heard you singing along with 722 and we came down.....lol
    Im a big extrovert and I do like contact with people, but then again I get so sick of people and I need my alone time also.

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger darker than silence said…

    I know exactly what you mean.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    You know that I am an introvert. I have been reading about and studying personality types at CCU. I found out that introverts make up only 5% of the U.S. population. I think that is why introverts get a negative spin. We are the minority. And in this country, majority rules. Well, I have thought a lot about intro/extroverts lately and posted something about it last night before group even started.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home