Small steps in faith

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

"Mind Games"







I've started to read a book called "Mind games" by Matthew Paul Turner He's one of my favorite authors He has a way of expressing in words what I think Here are a couple of "thoughts" he uses to start out his book which really made me think about how I play my own "mind games"

"Your thoughts can make you believe or make you doubt. They can be true or false. They can lead you toward a healthy lifestyle or steal away your ability to live a fulfilled life. Perhaps most powerfully, thoughts have the ability to free you, or they can enslave you inside the worst cage of all....yourself"


"I believe God has place inside each of us a desire for intimate passion, soulful purpose and mind-boggling potential. Yet too often we let our minds(or the way we think) get in the way of all that. We let our poor thinking dictate how we are going to live. We invest poorly in our minds, so we get a poor return on our investment. In short, we play mind games with ourselves."

"I've coined the term freethinking to describe a mind that is free of game playing,free of bondage, free of self-absorption. A mind in pursuit of being surrendered to the passions and dreams of Jesus is truly free. I've often had to learn this the hard way on my journey of faith. But I've come to realize that the more I surrender, the more I am able to be free from the bondage of worry, anxiety, and depression. It's not like I don't ever feel those things; I do, but they no longer define who I am They don't lock me up in a cage They don't control me My pursuit of being dependent on Jesus sets me free from that cage"


"Reality brings challenges into our lives that can send us into mental tailspins. I've been there. You've probably been there,too. But no matter whether it's depression or anxiety or codependence or anger or lack of confidence or fear that cripples our ability to think free, God can heal it. That's what freethinking is all about-finding freedom and healing. And we all need it, no matter what our stories entail....."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home