Small steps in faith

Monday, July 10, 2006

Dangerous Wonder



I just finished reading a book called "Dangerous Wonder" by Michael Yaconelli My friend Adam let me borrow it It was a great book to refresh my view of my faith and to make it more like "faith of a child"

"My prayer is not that you will finish reading this book with great new intellectual understanding of the Christian faith; but rather, that somewhere in your reading you will hear the whisper of Jesus."
That's always my hope too that I will read a book and at the end know that God spoke into my ear and straight to my heart.

This book deals with different areas of childhood that describe how our faith should be ..

Dangerous wonder... "To be in the presence of God, frightened and amazed at the same time"

Risky curiosity...Asking questions so that "truth is being worked out, not just listened to" There are no wrong questions

Wild abandon..."Following Jesus" as our focus more than "the rules"

Daring playfulness..."Jesus knew how to play as well as pray, how to laugh as well as cry He plays with our souls.

Wide-eyed listening..listening to the whisper of God.."Savoring ..Immersing ourselves in His presence, hearing Him with all of our senses"

Irresponsible passion....learning to live our lives with the same passion and love that Christ has for us

Happy terror....Loving God but also having that awe and respect for Him...Like a child with a parent..."It's time to become a people whose God is big and holy and frightening and gentle and tender and ours; a God whose love frightens us into His strong and powerful arms where He dares to hold us in His terrifying, loving presence."

Naive grace....This chapter is one of my favorites It deals with grace God's grace being so outside the lines just as children color outside the lines "The grace of God sees beyond the scribbling to the heart of the scribbler"

Childlike faith...Telling God what you are genuinely thinking knowing when to ask for help praying and playing like a child This chapter has my favorite story about the little boy who goes up on stage at a concert and starts banging out chopsticks..And the concert pianist who comes up and plays with him and tells him "Don't stop playing"

This book is definitely at the top of my list of favorites now....

1 Comments:

  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Adam said…

    It's been awhile since I've read this book, I think I will read it again. It's good to be reminded that we are to have child-like faith and trust in God and that we grow up too fast in our thoughts and our walk with God.

    There's a song by Rich Mullins called "Growing Young" which reminds me of this as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home