Small steps in faith

Monday, July 17, 2006

Real love "the Lyle Lovett kind"




"I heard once that real love doesn't ask what is in it for me; it just gives unconditionally. It just tries to take the weight out of somebody else's pack, lessen his load, and if it gets reciprocated, that's great, but that isn't what you did it for. It makes me wonder if real love, not the crap that we trade on the street, but real love, longtime, old-couple love, is another metaphor. I mean, I was thinking about it the other day and I couldn't think of a purpose for love in terms of Darwinian mechanisms. It seems like there is a reason for sex, for lust and all of that, but what about love? How does love, like beauty and light, help the Darwinian process? And I wondered if love itself, the real thing, the Lyle Lovett kind, wasn't another metaphor for God."


Donald Miller "Through Painted Deserts"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home