Small steps in faith

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Are you a Type D?

I thought this was an interesting article. I deal with alot of "Type D's" and to some degree I fit the category
Heart disease isn't in my family but strokes are





Are You a Type D Personality?
Posted by Simeon Margolis, M.D., Ph.D.
on Mon, Sep 04, 2006, 8:30 am PDT

For almost 50 years researchers have tried to link personality types or behavior patterns to the risk for heart disease.

We've all heard about the driven and highly competitive behavior of people with type A personalities, compared to the more laid-back, noncompetitive characteristics of type Bs.

Studies done in the late 1950s linked the type A behavior pattern with a higher risk for heart disease. But later studies failed to prove a link between cardiovascular disease and these patterns of behavior. Instead, more and more findings have associated an increased risk of heart disease with anger, hostility, surliness, and rudeness

I don't know if a type C personality or behavior has ever been defined, but you may soon be hearing more about the latest association between an increased risk of heart disease and the type D personality. (The D may stand for "distressed.")

A recent report from the Netherlands found that type D personality was associated with a significantly increased risk of major cardiovascular events like heart attacks and strokes.

Type D individuals tend to experience negative emotions like hostility, anxiety, anger, depressed mood, tension, and a negative view of themselves. They are likely to be constantly on alert for signs of impending trouble and to overreact to stressful events. An equally important factor in the type D personality is the inability to express these emotions, which leads to feeling tense, insecure, and uncomfortable in social situations.

According to authors of the Dutch study, the difference between the type D definition and those for types A and B suggests that "how people cope with negative emotions may be as important as the experience of negative emotions per se."

We all know people who have a type D personality, and some of us may recognize this pattern in ourselves or in family members. I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about this personality type, and more time will surely be needed to develop a thorough understanding of its importance in matters of health, especially heart health.

However, it does make sense to me to link people's negative personality traits with how they cope, or don't cope, with stressful circumstances and everyday challenges.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger tenahawkins said…

    I believe I could fit under the category D or 'the sensitive' in certain situations. I tend to be more pessimistic (for those of us who are D's we call ourselves realist's :0) ). Others call us negative or 'too sensitve'. Anyway, Christ has given us a way to reverse that and that is what I am concentrating on right now in my life. Renewing my mind and attitude. It's very hard to undo what's been done. I think growing up in a negative environment has shaped me that way and now I'm choosing to seek help from the True Physician.
    Although I do understand that with some type D's with depression and such, chemical imbalances need to be rectified.

     
  • At 5:39 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    I tend to fall somewhere in between B and D. Maybe that is what C will eventually be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home