Small steps in faith

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Jesus and godly friendships...the paralyzed man

These are my notes for the sermon at Apex

This was a hard sermon for me. I don't take friendships for granted and I know they need nurturing so when I have a friendship that goes sour I take it personally. Sometimes, it's not in my control...and I have to walk away knowing that I gave all I could give.

Mark 2:1-12

"We all need accountable friendships

You know you have godly friends:

1 when they get involved in your paralysis...they carry your mat. We all have struggles and problems...It's easy to be a friend when there are no needs...no struggles..What about when you require time commitment Do they detach when you become "needy"
James 2: 14-16
Discipleship is when our lives become symbiotic with others lives so that dead people can live again.
"Rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn"

2 When they are desperate for you to be in front of Jesus. The paralyzed man's friends went to great lengths to get him to Jesus. They didn't give up.
When you go to your friends during those hard times..do they point you back to Jesus?
2 Timothy 2:10
Colossians 1:28-29

3 When they entrust their limited abilities to the unlimited power of Christ
There are certain things that we can't do..we don't have to control or the power You have to step away and let Christ take over.
Our greatest need? We all need to be forgiven. "Son,your sins are forgiven"
Sometimes when we are hurting..it takes the voice of Christ to say "Get up.."

4 When they celebrate and worship Jesus for his redeeming work in your life

How are you as a friend?

We sang this song which is where I basically lost it


"All I Can Say" by David Crowder



Lord I'm tired
So tired from walking
And Lord I'm so alone
And Lord the dark
Is creeping in
Creeping up
To swallow me
I think I'll stop
Rest here a while

And didn't You see me cry'n?
And didn't You hear me call Your name?
Wasn't it You I gave my heart to?
I wish You'd remember
Where you sat it down

Chorus:
And this is all that I can say right now
And this is all that I can give

Bridge:
I didn't notice You were standing here
I didn't know that
That was You holding me
I didn't notice You were cry'n too
I didn't know that
That was You washing my feet

1 Comments:

  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Adam said…

    Wow, good stuff. I'm going to listen to that podcast, me thinks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home