Small steps in faith

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Democrat or Republican?



I am not a political person. I think I only took one political science class and that was because I had to for my major. However, when it's a presidential election year, I do find my curiosity piqued. I like to hear both sides of the story. I like to hear all of the issues ....not just the ones that may people crazy..ie abortion and gay rights.
I like to know why they think the way they do. I think many times it has to do with where they have been as a person,how they were raised, their experiences, their passions.
Anyone who knows my husband knows he is totally right wing republican. When he found out I voted for Bill Clinton in 1992 he gave me the cold shoulder for 3 days. My daughter Kristen was in kindergarten and did kid's voting and she voted for Bill Clinton too (Mom's have some influence at that age :^) We have grown up since then and just agree to disagree at times although I have voted Republican the 3 elections. He has no interest in watching the Democratic National Convention speeches (I think he watched Monday night preseason football :^)
I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for. That's why I have been reading the articles that Chris(my housechurch leader) sends me. I've read the newspaper articles and listened to the speeches. I've looked at the emails my dad (another right wing republican) sends me. I am watching the conventions. I think it's important to go into an election with an open mind and with as much knowledge as you can obtain to make a decision.
I thought Michelle Obama did a good job on her speech. It wasn't anything I didn't expect. I am more interested to hear what Hillary Clinton has to say.
Anyway, I will be staying up late this week and next trying to digest all of this so that when November comes I can vote with a good conscious.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you read Rachael Wing's Blog...see what you think. You can get in thur Ambers.
    I am the same as you but I could never vote for Obama. Our "wealth manangement" CPA friend says he would be the decline of our financial security. Also OB.doesn't seem to love America as much as Mc Cain, anyone who was treated in Vietman and survived to tell it-My Hero but Pres????????????? X. B.G.

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Haha yeah I did read it. She definitely speaks her mind :)
    I'm assuming she has no friends who are a democrat.. I don't agree with that..not every democrat is pro choice..I'm not sure about Donald Miller. I read the article as to why Cameron Strang changed his mind..you have to do what you feel God is leading you to do. Donald Miller felt it was the right thing to pray ...I don't agree with being disappointed in him.
    This is a tough time to pick a candidate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home