Small steps in faith

Monday, March 16, 2009

"Milk"



I rented this movie yesterday. If you're not familiar with it, it's based on a true story about Harvey Milk, a gay rights activist who was also involved in the politics of San Francisco. It details his life from early years when he was struggling to get into politics until he was murdered. Sean Penn did an excellent job portraying him. Actually it was eerie how close the characters in the movie resemble the real people. They showed the comparisons at the end of the movie. Josh Brolin also did a great job.
I will warn you that it has some scenes of his relationships with men that may make you uncomfortable. Watching hatred toward someone whether they are gay,black,Muslim,etc. makes my stomach turn..they are human. I don't support the gay lifestyle but it doesn't mean that I don't treat them with compassion. It's sad that people are filled with so much fear and hate that they resort to violence and murder.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was wondering what this movie what about. the title "milk" sure didnt lead me to any conclusions.

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Adam said…

    It's quite the tragic story. Did you think Sean Penn deserved the Oscar, or should it have gone to Mickey Rourke?

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Adam
    I saw both The Wrestler and Milk.
    They were both good as actors but I think Sean Penn by far deserved the oscar. Mickey Rourke basically could play the character as himself..a down and out person.
    Sean Penn had to to come out of his comfort zone and become a gay man including kissing other men in the movie...I think that takes a special actor to be able to do that. He had obviously studied the mannerisms and character of Harvey Milk.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home