Small steps in faith

Friday, January 14, 2005

Fatherhood

I found a book not too long ago that I thought did an excellent job in explaining the important role of being a dad It's called "You have what it takes What every father needs to know" by John Eldredge
It's only 52 pages and very small but it has priceless advice in it It talks about the 2 important questions a father needs to answer ....
If you have a son the question is "Do I have what it takes?" The answer:" You have what it takes you are a man"
For a daughter the question is "Am I lovely?" The answer:"Yes you are lovely"
It's not to say that a mother's role isn't important and that her answer to those questions isn't important but it's their dad who their truly looking for that answer and how you answer that shapes the rest of their lives
Many men have broken relationships with their own fathers and that's when they need to go to God to heal those wounds and to hear that answer that they didn't hear from their fathers "You have what it takes you are a man"

I have 2 children a girl and a boy and I can tell you from my experience that this is sooooo true and I'm blessed to have a husband who knew how to answer those questions without a book
My son, Zach looks to Darrell for that affirmation and love that he is a man When he was on sports teams it was always important to him that Darrell was there cheering him on ,letting him know what a great job he did
My daughter,Kristen is the ultimate "Daddy's girl" His approval on what she looks like , her clothes, her hair, etc are always important and he goes over and beyond to make her feel special to buy that special dress or that pair of shoes(Kristen has a shoe addiction :)

I found his insight on women getting flowers to be right on target

"Why are flowers such a big deal for women? I have been sent flowers once in my life,, and I thought it was weird. But my wife loves to get flowers. Have you ever wondered why? Because of what it says. I'm thinking of you ...I delight in you. "
God answered this question when Christ was baptized "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" Matthew 3:17
It's never too late to let your kids know "they have what it takes" and that "they are lovely"

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home