Small steps in faith

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween




This has always been one of my favorite holidays because of the candy. I have a huge sweet tooth :) I've never been a fond lover of dressing up but I like to see the costumes other people think up. Halloween has always been one of those holidays that "christianity" has seen in different ways. I know some churches call it "Fall Harvest Party" to take away from the "satanic" view of Halloween. Wikipedia has an interesting article on it with all the beliefs,symbols,history etc.
I have a hard time thinking of "evil" when a 2 yr old shows up at my door dressed as Winnie the Pooh :) Whatever you call it..... Halloween is Halloween

4 Comments:

  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Adam said…

    Thankfully my family growing up let us dress up for Halloween and we went out trick or treating. I don't quite understand the "boycott halloween" thing personally. If we need to boycott halloween, then we should probably boycott Christmas and any other holiday that we take from "pagan" traditions.

    Last night, we went to a "harvest party" down at Debby's sister's church in Cincinnati, and Noelle's Nemo costume was sooo cute - everyone thought it was the greatest.

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger darker than silence said…

    One of my favorite "pagan" holidays is Easter. Easter was a Germanic festival. During one of their spring festivals, they would draw in a wagon through village-to-village an image of the fertility goddess Nerthus. The priests leading the wagon would scourge themselves along the way as an act of worship. Slaves were ordered to wash her statue in the sea, and afterward they were killed in a ceremony to guarantee fertility. And it was known as Easter.

    I love "Fall Harvest Parties" where they say, "You have to dress up like a Bible character!" I would dress up as Satan or a demon, or the "ghost" of Saul, or the body of a bloodied Israelite soldier, or even of one of the corpses being raised from the dead after the crucifixion. I could consider dressing up as the beaten, scourged, and mutilated Jesus... but that's borderline blasphemy, I think?

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Adam said…

    Chad,

    I think you need to bring back the Raggedy Ann contest.

    Water just came out of my nose as I was reading your post, by the way. Painful!

     
  • At 6:15 AM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Adam
    I bet Noelle was cute :) Jeff/Mindy brought Adia over and she was a piglet..very cute...Jeff was Petyon Manning in disguise like the commercial :)..he looked just like him :)

    Chad... Can we see pictures at least:) That's hilarious Zach loved it ...remember his nickname on fantasy football :)

    Anthony...yeah...not a good idea :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home