Small steps in faith

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

5 yrs...no cancer :)

Five years ago I had a routine mammogram. I didn't really think too much about it when I got a call that they needed to do more films. My friend had told me that sometimes they don't get good pictures. I went for the second mammogram and when they told me I need to talk to the radiologist...I knew it wasn't "routine" anymore. They saw 2 spots that they needed to biopsy to see what they were. The very next day I had the biopsy done in the breast center. Except for the fact that you can't move and you are face down for about 45 min...it wasn't bad. The next day came the news..1 area was ductal carcinoma insitu..a precancer. One area was infiltrating lobular carcinoma insitu. Initially it was felt I would need a lumpectomy/mastectomy. My next step was to find a surgeon. Since I am a nurse and have worked at the same hospital for 20 years it wasn't hard to know who I trusted. When I went for my appt. with the surgeon..he was the first to tell me...it may not be cancer. After being told(on the phone) that I had cancer..it was a huge relief. He did an open biopsy and removed tissue the size of a golf ball. No cancer was found..thank God. For the past 5 yrs I have done yearly diagnostic mammograms..more films than normal and I can't leave until the radiologist has to read it immediately.
I have to see my surgeon for a very thorough exam 2/year. I am at a 40% higher risk to develop an invasive breast cancer. By doing these screenings and exams I am able to detect a problem early and is more likely to be treatable.
I feel blessed that I've had 5 yrs without cancer. I write this to share my experience and to educate the importance of having that yearly mammogram done whether you are a woman reading this or a man with a mother,sister,wife, or sister.
Initial mammograms are done at the age of 40 and yearly after that.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nothing makes me happier than this blog. I'm so happy that your are cancer free. I love you more than you will ever know.
    Love Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home