Small steps in faith

Sunday, July 19, 2009

"The Dysfunction Continues"

These are my notes from Rob's sermon at Apex.
We are in the book of Jude
Jude 14-16

The service started with the baptism of 3 little girls which absolutely warmed my heart.

Rob told a story about a horrible guy from Louisville who tortured and murdered his wife and got off on a "technicality"
With God's judgment, there is no "getting off on technicality"
In these verses Jude talks about future judgment and also what's happening now.

Judgment delayed is not judgment denied!

Jesus came to earth in humility as an infant and a servant.
When He returns, it will not be in humility. He is coming back to judge

Matthew 16:27
Matthew 24:30-31
Matthew 25:31
2 Thessalonians 1: 7-10
Revelation 6: 15-17

Jude shows us 3 areas of future judgment of the unredeemed

1 Behavior of unbelievers

2 The motives of unbelievers..exposing intentions of the heart

3 The words of unbelievers

What's happening in church's right now?
What is specific present day evidence that will incur his future judgment?

1 People who verbally expose their discontented hearts...grumbling,malcontent
John 6

2 People who are controlled by their flesh. "I'm going to do what I want to do"
Galatians 5:16
1st Peter 2:11

3 People who enjoy making much of themselves
Example: People who use their facebooks,twitter,etc to boast about themselves
I have a facebook so I had to think about this one...ouch! I need to start being more aware of what I post
I also have had friends in the past who have done this...everything was about them.

4 People who use words to use others.
Example: People who flatter and schmooze those who they feel are important or popular
In order for us to savor beauty of the cross..we have to savor the wrath of the judgment of Christ. You can't have one without the other.
Jesus incurred the wrath of the Father for our sins. This should make the cross sweeter to you.

5 Attitudes are accountable
You can't excuse attitudes by saying "That's just their personality" That doesn't hold weight in the courtoom of Christ.

This is a point from his sermon that really hit home with me.
I had a friend who would tell me I had to accept them for their cynicism and non compassion because "that's who they were". When I tried to hold them accountable for their attitude, they would turn it on me as though I was the one with the problem.
I say this because holding others accountable for their attitude is not easy. Be prepared to lose their friendship if they don't like or accept what you are telling them. I learned that the hard way.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks for posting this Rochelle. sounds like a great sermon. i seriously need to write those points down myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home