Small steps in faith

Saturday, November 06, 2004

My Best Friend

I love the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" I don't think I can count the number of times I've watched it and everytime I still hope that he ends up marrying Julia Roberts ( his best friend ) and not Cameron Diaz

I am married to my best friend I can't imagine it being any other way

I started thinking about this on my way home from a funeral viewing I went to this morning
My friend and coworker Cindy lost her father-in-law very suddently and unexpectedly this week after he had knee surgery Her in-laws celebrated their 50th anniversary 3 weeks ago in Gatlinburg with their children and granchildren and they had a video of their life made with pictures It was so obvious that they were best friends from the video,and the stories from their family and friends They loved spending time together ( They rode a motorcycle together :)

I think thats the most important thing ;spending time together Even if it seems like the most mundane thing like getting salt for the water softener at Home Depot
With Darrell nothing is ever boring He makes a whole adventure out of a trip to Home Depot You never go on a simple errand It's a variety of errands with coffee stores,bookstores, and office supply stores ( he has a pen fetish ) in between and he always knows someone wherever we go
We are off together every other Thursday and we have the best time "doing nothing" together Our kids have "ditched" us on Fri nights so we get to have that night too now
When we had no kids we spent all kinds of time together Then we had Kristen and Zach and focused more on "family time" and very rarely had time to ourselves and now we're coming full circle as our kids are older, back to spending alot of time together again
We've been through our tough times and I'm sure we'll have more but with God,prayer, and love we're always best friends
I think everyone should marry their best friend

7 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I dont know much about marriage obviously, but i think that spending time together is the main ingredient to having a succesful relationship. Its the best way to get to know each other. Its good to go out on dates every once and a while even though older people sometimes spend dates playing cards or whatever else you older people do(not saying your old rochelle:). I think what you and darryl have is very God-based and its something that will last for a very long time.
    Later

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Tyler
    You're too funny Darrell and I go more for the concerts and movies and eating than the cards :)I didn't take any offense to the "older" comment You're right it is important for any relationship to spend time together so I guess that explains why you're going out with Kristen tonight :)
    Have fun We're going to the UD game for our date tonight
    You'll have to come over and spend some time with us soon so Darrell can get to know you better I'll make sure his shotgun isn't out(Just kidding :)

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    UD game huh? Sounds like fun. Yeah ill have to come over and we can play cards and eat some prunes...Anyway, before I come over PLEASE make sure all weapons are in a safe place:) Have fun at the game!!

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger darker than silence said…

    not too break the genuine love flowing from future son-in-law to future mother-in-law (maybe I stepped out of line on that one)...

    what if your best friend is a guy???

    jk

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Sorry Tyler
    No prunes or cards here and no weapons either :)You'll have to settle for peach or grape Propel Water and Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit

    Anthony
    I was thinking more of marriage than male/female bonding I guess It's definitely unbiblical to marry your best friend if they're the same sex :) I did vote yes on issue 1
    I hope some day you find a christian girl whom you marry and consider your best friend :) As for Tyler being my future son-in-law that will be his decision but it better be at least 4 yrs from now!

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger darker than silence said…

    haha well i do have many great friendships but they're grounded in very non-gay ways

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rochelle,
    You are so right on marrying your best friend. You have to be able to confide in your spouse. Jordan and I are getting ready to celebrate 20 years of marriage and I can say I can not imagine being with anyone else. Tina

     

Post a Comment

<< Home