Small steps in faith

Friday, August 12, 2005

God is talking to me through the computer

I was up this morning at 4 am I couldn't sleep so I came down to read my blogs I had some interesting comments on my blog yesterday that had nothing to do with Princess Diana :) but definitely made me laugh(Adam- your comment on the ceiling fan was hilarious) and I think I needed that
I found out this morning that my stepfather has advanced prostate cancer that has spread to his spine,arms,legs,and brain They aren't recommending chemo..it's too advanced for that It's mainly comfort measures They are concerned about fractures so he'll be receiving a shot to help build his bones up When they asked how long he had the oncologist said "I'm not God" so I like him already His main concern is keeping him comfortable and he told them he would be with them every step He sounds very compassionate which isn't always the case even with oncologists. So right now it's one day at a time ...
I'm including the devotional that was in my email this morning This was God talking to me ..an answer to my question to him at 4 am (My husband is a believer it's the second part of the message that I needed)



Because of You
by John Fischer



Your mission is to live your life.


In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul the apostle addresses believers who are married to unbelievers, and outlines a general rule that if the unbelieving spouse chooses to stay in the marriage, it would be good for the believer to stay, too. He gives two reasons for this: one, the children will have a godly influence through the believing parent, and two, the unbeliever may be converted “because of you” (1 Corinthians 7:16). (Exceptions to this rule would of course be situations of abuse and endangerment of a spouse or child.)


Just what does he mean by “because of you,” I wonder? Does it mean you are on a personal crusade to save your spouse? Does it mean that you will preach the gospel to your spouse at every possible opportunity? Does it mean you will turn your house into a religious institution that coerces your spouse to either put up with Christianity or leave? No, it doesn’t mean any of these things.


It means simply what it says: “…because of you…” because of who you are, because of how you live, because of the way your faith affects everything you do, because of the way you carry on your life, because of the reality of Christ in your life. That’s it. No more; but certainly, no less. Paul is suggesting that living your life with a sense of purpose that comes from your faith in God is enough to convert someone.


It occurs to me that this could be applied to all believers in relation to life in the world among people with whom we work and associate who are not believers. General rule: don’t leave the world. (Where would you go, anyway?) Stay in the world – in relationships with unbelievers – for the chance that someone may be converted “because of you.”


We are not on a crusade; we are on a mission to live our lives according to God’s purposes. When we do that, we make possible an environment of change where a person who does not have a meaningful relationship with God might become curious about someone who does. “Because of you” is a statement of subtle influence, not coercion, and in the context of Paul’s advice in 1 Corinthians 7, it is a steady influence over time, as would be implied by a marriage. There’s nothing complex or even premeditated about a “because of you” influence. This is a believer going about the process of believing; and this is an unbeliever going over their life with a microscope, observing the good, the bad and the ugly. Doesn’t matter if God is there.


Thought for the day: Don’t ever sell short what God can do “because of you.”

5 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Adam said…

    Wow, sorry to hear about your stepdad. Life sucks sometimes. We'll be praying.

     
  • At 1:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ill be praying for Andy. But just remember what ever happens God does it for a certain reason.

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Thanks for your prayers I can do nothing but trust God and his infinite wisdom in this situation I think there is only going to be "one set of footprints in the sand" for awhile

     
  • At 5:02 AM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Thanks for the prayers
    Nate- I don't know you but you must have a heart for God and thank you for reaching out to me

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger FollowJesus said…

    Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless His holy name. i asked and asked the Lord for a response to you Rochelle. after seeking and knocking Luke 18:1-8 came to me. i know that it was from my Lord Jesus who is faithful to lead me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home