Small steps in faith

Saturday, April 25, 2009

"Skinny" by Laura L. Smith

When I saw this book on the list to review, I knew it was a book I wanted to read.
It's a young adult fiction book which deals with the ever growing problem in young teen girls and even boys at times. I never struggled with the weight problem when I was a teen. In fact, I was probably considered underweight. It wasn't something that was talked about when I was in high school. I think in recent years watching my daughter grow up, it's much more prevalent. I think the pressure to look and be thin is also something that is emphasized with magazines and clothes.
Anorexia and bulimia are the symptoms of a deeper problem. This book does an excellent job in showing this.
I think this book does an excellent job in showing all the stresses and factors that can lead to the problem. Stress to do well in school, dating relationships, dance and cheer squads, and to look like the other girls. I found the main character,Melissa, a very believable character. I liked the fact that she came from a very solid loving family. I think it shows that it can happen to anyone. Her faith is a strong part of her recovery. She uses prayer and scripture to help in those hard times.
It shows how she becomes obsessed with her weight and it distorts her perception of herself leading to low self esteem. She has one friend,Gracie, who stands by her and supports her. I think the ending isn't always as simple as they make it in the book. Most girls who suffer from this need months and sometimes years of treatment. Many times those closest miss the signs just as her parents did.
I would recommend this book to every young girl who has struggled with this or has a friend who has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home