Small steps in faith

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Life in Prison or Death

Darrell and I had an interesting discussion last night about which is the worst penalty Death or life in prison We had just watched on the news where the jury for Scott Peterson is still deliberating his fate
Darrell said he would rather die than be in prison for life because of the horror stories you hear but my question to him is whether Scott Peterson is saved If he's not and he's put to death then that's the worst punishement of all..eternity in hell
If he has life in prison he has that chance to repent and give his life to Christ and be forgiven
He said if he repents just because he's afraid of hell then that's not true repentance I don't disagree but that's up to God to know that person's heart and motive and I do believe there are people in prison who make that decision to follow Christ with the right heart
I watched a movie a couple of months ago called "Dead Man Walking" that deals with this subject A very powerful movie if you've never seen it Get your box of kleenex
I would not do very well on the jury that had to make the decision of life or death
I personally could never make the decision to put that person to death I would always have hope that their heart would be changed



1 Comments:

  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    that's a tough one, my conservative, right-wing upbringing says that crime such as the one's peterson committed are so heinous that they should be dealt with in the most severe way. life for life. but my more liberal, left-wing conscience tells me that all life is of value and we should not give up the hope that peterson could make his peace with God. working in corrections i know of the horror stories. and actually they are far worse than the public usually hears. life in prison would be a terrible sentence to look forward to. but an eternity of regret would be far worse.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home