Small steps in faith

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A Dad's role

After birthing an egg, the mother passes it with her feet gingerly to the father, who keeps it warm against the bitter Antarctic cold for two months while she marches off 70 miles from the breeding ground to feed in the water. When she returns with a full belly, she takes over the new hatchling, protecting and feeding it while dad treks off for food this time. In this manner, they pass off “Junior” numerous times as he grows until he is strong enough to keep warm on his own. Rarely is the young family all together at the same time.

This is a description of the mating and parenting of penguins I always chuckle at this because of the chapter in "Blue Like Jazz" but when you read it what is written above it's actually similar to how we are in our busy lives Whoever is home feeds the kids,drives them to their games,etc Rarely is it the whole family together


The narrator made a point about this role reversal in the animal kingdom where the fathers tenderly looked over their eggs for weeks on end. Dads were also the only ones around when the eggs hatched. Believe me, this movie gave new meaning to the term “Mr. Mom.” Dads and moms were interchangeable in many ways. Whoever was around ended up doing what had to be done for the little ones.

I actually think that this is a good thing that the dads were so involved That's how it should be
When I had Kristen and Zach I worked evenings 3-11 I had to go back to work when they were 6 weeks old and it was up to my husband Darrell to take care of them in the evening He learned real fast how to change a diaper,heat up a bottle,give a bath,etc He was great He loved doing it In fact, with Kristen, he would take her out to eat every Friday How sweet is that picture :) It creates a bond that can't be broken I didn't like being away from them but I'm glad that he had that one on one time with them
I think the writer of this article is right ..

I do believe God has given us animals to mirror human behavior, and help us see ourselves in another light and not take ourselves or our roles so seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home