Small steps in faith

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Princess Diana exhibit





When I found out that the exhibit for Princess Diana was coming to the Dayton Art Institute ,it wasn't a question of if I would go , it was when and who would go with me.
Darrell had no interest in going but I have a friend Tina who was as excited as I was to go Just like me, she got up at 5 am on July 29,1981 to watch her get married . I know that originally it was because of the "fairy tale" aura of it, that I was in awe... a simple kindergarten teacher marrying a prince in a fairy tale wedding. Unfortunately for Diana her prince turned out to be a total frog and she had to endure alot of heartache and grief. I think what I admired about her the most is how she handled herself even when her life was falling apart around her. She continued to have a passion for humanity which was obvious in her charities and the way she related to those who had Aids,leprosy,injuries from landmines, etc .Despite all of the bad press she received, she tried to make her children's lives as "normal" as possible
In the exhibit, there are several rooms starting with her childhood and ending with her numereous outfits. There were home movies of her childhood playing,clips from her numerous visits,and the clip of her wedding. It took about 2 hrs to look at everything . I had the audioplayer which gave extra information about the exhibits you were looking at as well as family history. My favorite room was the room where they showed how she grew up followed by the room where her wedding dress was displayed . My favorite thing that I saw was the small bible that Mother Teresa gave her with a small note to her in the front.
It was definitely one of the more enjoyable times I've spent in the museum . The other thing that really amazed me was the distance some people traveled just to see the exhibit.

Also, if you love art,they have some beautiful paintings and sculptures to look at To get to the Diana exhibit you have to go through an area of "European Art" and there was a room dedicated to "Christian art" with several pictures of Jesus,Mary Magdalene,angels, etc. and it's free of charge to see that area of the museum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home