Small steps in faith

Friday, May 05, 2006

Being a parent doesn't get easier

Kristen has been home for 3 days now. Come over and walk in my living room and you will know that :) We are in the process of cleaning out the attic to store stuff from the basement to store her stuff from college Ugh!
It's been a good week but also has been a challenging week
When we had our children, we felt a responsibility to raise and guide them the best way we knew how
The goal? To have them grow into a responsible adult who makes their own decisions The hard part this week? Realizing that I did my job and sometimes it's a very hard thing when their choices aren't necessarily mine and I have to respect that difference.
When they were younger, if they made a choice we didn't agree with,we would listen but we had the veto power. We were in control.
As the parent of an adult, I can make my feelings and ideas known, they can listen ,but ultimately they have that control and veto power. That's a hard adjustment but if we did our job as parents ..It's ok.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    I can't say that I "know" how you feel. But I can try to understand how tough it is to hope you taught her well enough to make her own decisions. That takes a certain faith that is difficult to muster. The difficult part is that we all make mistakes. We hope that our loved ones won't make the same mistakes we did, or that they don't get hurt by their mistakes. But making mistakes is how we learn.

    "There is no up & down. There is up and getting up."

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    I like that saying :)
    For someone who doesn't "know" how I feel...you expressed exactly how I feel

     

Post a Comment

<< Home