Small steps in faith

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Washington DC Conference Day 3&4




I am back home in Springboro :^) My last 2 days in Washington DC were a whirlwind of lectures. Friday night we had free time so we walked a couple of blocks over and ate at a very nice restaurant called The Daily Grille. On our walk home we stopped at Borders which was huge! Mary and I bought Elizabeth Edwards book "Saving Graces"
Saturday morning we got up bright and early for the 5K jogathon. The picture above is one they took for their website. I don't know the 2 on the left of me but my friend Mary is standing to the right of me. I did pretty well..I finished 24/200 in my age group of walkers. They had a huge breakfast for us afterwards.
Our speakers yesterday were probably my favorite besides Elizabeth Edwards. They both dealth with healthcare for those who are poor and under served. Dr. Francine Kauffman is an endocrinologist who looked at global perspectives of the impact of diabetes on children in poorer countries such as Zimbabwe. A child diagnosed with type 1 there has a life expectancy of 7 months to 3 years. Unbelievable! She has supports an organization called Life for A Child which supports those children who don't have the resources needed. The documentary she did is definitely worth watching and is on the website I have linked.
So now I have a few days to recover before heading back to work. Kristen and her friend Jackie are leaving this morning for Lee and we take Zach back next weekend.
I had a great time and learned alot and got alot of great resources for my patients but there's no place like home :^)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home