Small steps in faith

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Escaping Reality with Reading

When I'm under alot of stress and need to escape I read I have loved to read since I was in 1st grade and we went on a field trip to the library and I got to get my 1st library card I still remember the smell of the library when I walked in there
My dad went to Sinclair when we were growing up and he would take up to the downtown library with him They had a whole floor that was childrens books and he never put a limit on how many we could check out so basically as many as you could carry My sister and I would then swap books She loves to read too
I can remember feeling sad about something and sitting in my dad's leather black chair and reading to make myself feel better Some books I would read over and over (Little Women) and Little House on the Prairie books especially
As an adult I still love to read and I still love the library I actually worked in the library when I went to Wright State That definitely has its advantages and I can honestly say was my favorite job I still have "favorite" books I like to read more than once
Last night I needed comfort so I started reading "Messy Spirituality" by Michael Yaconelli It's easy to read, he uses people's life stories, and it makes you feel good

"Spirituality is not a formula; it is not a test. It is a relationship. Spirituality is not about competency; it is about intimacy. Spirituality is not about perfection; It is about connection. The way of the spiritual life begins where we are now in the mess of our lives. Accepting the reality of our broken,flawed lives is the beginning of spirituality not because the sprititual life will remove our flaws but because we let go of seeking perfection and instead, seek God, the one who is present in the tangledness of our lives. Spirituality is not about being fixed; it is about God's being present in the mess of our unfixedness."

If you're under stress and have a messy life like I do pick up a book and start reading.... it will make you feel better

3 Comments:

  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I havent been having the best week either...
    But there are so many outlets when your having stress. I'm not a big reader(unless its a bible or a devotional), but I really just stop and pray and worship is also a big stress releiver for me.
    Ill keep you in my prayers:)

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger darker than silence said…

    Yaconelli is amazing. Sucks that he died though.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rochelle,

    I also escape reality with reading. Whenever I begin reading a book I fall asleep!

    Jordan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home