Small steps in faith

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Perfect Peace is Possible

this was the title in one of my devotions this morning I found it very ironic in light of "a discussion" I had last night
"You will keep him in perfect peace, who mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you" Isaiah 26:3
Sometimes things are out of my control and I need to realize that and trust that God knows what's best and will be there to pick me up when I fall
I'm having a hard time understanding why there is such division in the church because of different denominational beliefs I was given an article last night to "prove" that the denomination my church takes alot of its doctrine is "a cult"
Why would anyone write something like this I read it and it's one persons "opinion"
No wonder there is so much turmoil and division People read this stuff and take it as "gospel" I pray that God helps me keep my focus on him and his word and guides me in what to say to the person who gave this to me so that I will have "perfect peace"

6 Comments:

  • At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I sometimes wonder what God thinks when He sees us arguing denominational points (man's interpretations). Why do we focus on the 5% we have disagreement on rather than celebrate the 95% that we agree on?

    Normally when someone wants to "prove" something it is not motivated by Love, but rather by pride.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Anonymous- you are right on the pride issue this person always has to "prove" to me they're right on doctrinal issues

    Roger- I will give you a copy of what I was given If you have info on the Church of Christ denominations it would probably help me a great deal to understand this I just want to go to Southwest and worship God It's the right place for me to be I don't think I should have to "prove" why.. God led me there and wants me there.. period.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Doug Hill said…

    rochelle,

    there are some points of doctrine that i dont see eye to eye with the christian church / church of Christ / disciples of Christ.... roger and i have had many discussions over the years i served at SW. however what we as Christians must realize is that we are diverse. roger is a great example of someone who understands this and is very accepting and loving.

    the fairly famous epigram which i am drawn to in discussions regarding this topic reads, (when translated from the original Latin into English):

    "In essentials unity, non-essentials liberty, in everthing charity (love)."

    of we lived by that, we would live in a more harmoneous Kingdom.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Rochelle said…

    Jeff and Doug
    thank you for your input i will remember that saying and keep it in my bible as well as my heart
    Jeff thank you for clearing up the International Church of Christ Unfortunately my "friend" still has issues with our church which he has highlighted and underlined in this article and that is troubling to me I know that only God will be able to change his heart

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger darker than silence said…

    I share the opinion of Jeff in that sometimes I am ashamed to call myself Christian. A lot of the Christian sects - as well as many Christians today - are a far cry from what Jesus came to usher in 2000 years ago. Like Jeff I want to be known as a follower of Jesus. A lot of times Christianity gets viewed as patronizing, bigoted, brainwashing, judgmental, and prideful. that's not Jesus at all. Jesus is wonderful, beautiful, compassionate, caring - I smile to think of him. That's my Lover, and yours, too. Sometimes we forget this in the denominational lines and battles that we cross and fight. Part of me believes that as doctrine came in, some of the genuine love for Jesus seeped out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home